What is the Top Small Company Workplaces competition?
Since 2003, Winning Workplaces has been honoring high-performing small and mid size organizations. These under-reported companies employ the majority of working Americans and are the primary source of new job creation and innovations in this country.
Today, Winning Workplaces and Inc. Magazine are seeking compelling examples of successful organizations with outstanding work cultures for our 2011 Top Small Company Workplaces (TSCW) competition.
The research is clear and compelling. Organizations that build great work environments and wisely invest in their people deliver better business results. As our motto states, a winning workplace is “Better for People, Better for Business, Better for Society.”
What is the prize for winning the award?
The winners will be featured in the June 2011 issue of Inc. Magazine, the premier publication for entrepreneurs and business owners. In addition winners will be featured on Inc’s and Winning Workplaces’ websites. (Click here for past coverage on Inc.’s website; and here for past coverage on our website.) Awards will be presented at our joint Leadership Conference in June 2011. Winners will gain additional exposure through a nationally distributed press release from Winning Workplaces and Inc.
- North American-based; North American offices of foreign owned companies are not eligible.
- For-profit or not-for profit.
- An independent organization or subsidiary. Divisions of larger companies are not eligible.
- Employ no more than 500 people (full-time equivalents, exempt and non-exempt).
- Have been in business at least three years by January 14, 2011.
- Not already a member of the Winning Workplaces Hall of Fame (previous Winning Workplaces award winner). Prior Winning Workplaces Finalists are eligible.
Are there categories of Top Small Company Workplaces awards?
Depending upon the applications submitted, the 2011 Top Small Company Workplaces competition may award organizations based upon the following employee sizes:
- Organizations with 1-50 employees
- Organizations with 51-250 employees
- Organizations with 251-500 employees
How can a company apply?
Visit https://tsw.winningworkplaces.org/ to get started.
What is the application deadline?
Applications will be accepted online from December 1, 2010 to
January 14, 2011 at midnight – in your region’s time zone. Update: Deadline extended through January 18.
Is there an application fee?
Yes. The fee assists with the administration, processing and due diligence associated with the Top Small Company Workplaces competition. For-profit firms with 1-100 employees and all non-profits pay an application fee of $149. For-profit firms with 101-500 employees pay a fee of $249. If you are the one making the credit card payment, a receipt will be sent to the email address you provide. The charge will appear on your statement as “Winning Workplaces.” Please save this receipt or forward it to the proper party.
How do I get the online application?
Once you’ve paid the application fee, an email with an application link will be sent to the email address you provided during the payment process. If you are not the person that will be responsible for completing and submitting the application, please forward the email to the proper party. The link is necessary for you to be able to continually access your organization’s application.
What does the application process entail?
The competition involves a two step process: 1) All applicants complete the TSCW online application and 2) For all finalists, Winning Workplaces will administer a short employee survey in early to mid-February 2011 and may interview a few random employees over the telephone as well.
Who decides the winning firms?
Winning Workplaces is committed to employing an objective and comprehensive process in choosing the Top Small Company Workplace winners. All applications will be thoroughly reviewed and scored. The top 100 applications will become “finalists.” Employees of all finalist organizations will then complete a short survey administered by Winning Workplaces. In the final phase, a panel of judges will review each finalist application and survey results. The top organizations will become the winners for the 2011 Top Small Company Workplaces competition.
Can the organizations that are finalists gain access to the results of the employee survey?
Yes, for a small fee. All non-profit organizations and firms with 1-100 employees can receive a customized feedback report for $250. Firms with 101-500 employees can receive a copy of their employee survey results for $375.
What will you do with the data collected on these applications?
Inc. Magazine may use some of the TSCW winners’ information for articles in their magazine and online. Winning Workplaces may also reference some of the applicants’ Best Practice information on their website and in their quarterly newsletters. Note: Winners’ revenue information will be published ONLY in Inc. Magazine and on Winning Workplaces’ website and WILL NOT be published by any other party without the organization’s prior consent.
- Deadline for online submission is
January 14, 2011. January 18 – see above
- Judges will review all applications and finalists will be selected in early February.
- All finalists will be contacted in early February so that Winning Workplaces can administer a brief electronic employee survey. All finalists will be asked to provide an Excel list of their employees’ contact information. In addition to the survey, Winning Workplaces may conduct telephone interviews with a few randomly selected employees.
- Judges will choose the Top Small Company Workplaces’ winners no later than March 25, 2011.
- Inc. Magazine will feature the winners in its June 2011 publication and winners will be honored at the Inc./Winning Workplaces Leadership Conference, June 15-17, 2011, at the Four Seasons Resort and Club, Dallas, TX.