Implementing Servant Leadership
SEPTEMBER 9 – NOVEMBER 18, 2022
Group sessions will occur on the following Fridays from 12 to 1:30 pm EST:
9/9, 9/23, 10/14, 11/4, 11/18
Facilitated by Don Frick
Throughout this course, participants will:
- Review Greenleaf’s key ideas about servant leadership, and specifically how they apply to organizations
- Begin the process of personal development necessary to model servant leadership
- Understand common pitfalls and successful implementation strategies
- Discuss stories about organizations that have implemented servant leadership
- Learn from conversations with leaders with wide experience in integrating Greenleaf’s principles, including people from business, education, government agencies, and servant-leader coaching.
- Learn from each other
- Create a personal credo based on your deepest values
- Design a road map and strategy for implementing servant leadership in your workplace, nonprofit, or community organizations
To receive a Certificate in “Implementing Servant Leadership ”, the participant must:
- Participate in wiki collaborative website and group discussions
- Read required texts and other assigned readings about servant leadership
- Contribute in five (5) group discussions via Zoom with facilitators and other participants*
- Share insights and learning using the course wiki collaborative website
*NOTE: Participants may make up one (1) missed group discussion. Participants who miss more than one group discussion are not eligible to receive a course completion certificate.
COURSE READINGS: Required:
James C. Hunter. The World’s Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader. (2004)
James W. Sipe and Don M. Frick. Seven Pillars of Servant Leadership: The Wisdom and Practice of Leading by Serving, Revised and Expanded Edition. Paulist Press (2015)
Don M. Frick. Implementing Servant Leadership: Stories from the Field. D. B. Reinhart Institute for Ethics in Leadership, Viterbo University (2009)
Linda W. Belton. A Nobler Side of Leadership: The Art of Humanagement: A Servant Leader Journey. Greenleaf Center (2016).
Additional readings and media resources will be assigned throughout the course.